4.18.2018

Monday was race day 4.16.18
Our race day logo designed by our good friend Andy. Just love it!
I woke up several times throughout the night & I could tell that Gary was awake, not sleeping well. He always gets a little anxious the night before a big race & this one was no exception. Around 6am he was up for good. I wished him well as he left to go catch the shuttle to Hopkinton for the start of the race. Wendy, Travis & myself sleeping in until about 7:30. When we woke up & looked out the hotel window we could barely see the amazing view from our 35th floor hotel room. It was foggy & so rainy already at that time in the morning. My heart hurt for Gary knowing how much he had looked forward to this race & knowing this was not what he had imagined it to be like. But there was nothing we could do about the weather... we showered & put on all our layers & rain gear, ready to go out and be the best spectators we could. We watched the 10am first wave {which included my #1 unicorn Gary Brown} start from our hotel room on the live tv broadcast & headed outside shortly after. One step out the door & we were hit with heavy rain & wind almost instantly. Totally sucked!
But we made the most of it & had so much fun. We found a great spot about 1.5 blocks away from the finish line and were able to see the first place male & female finish which was pretty great. We had been getting Gary's run check point times all morning & were so happy to see that he was crushing the run, the weather wasn't stopping him. Must have been the fancy TJMaxx women's coat! Soon enough we got the notification that he was one mile out. A few minutes later he came running by with the biggest smile on his face & we couldn't have been more proud!
Finished in 3:13!!!
 At this point Travis, Wendy & I were so soaking wet and freezing. I could only imagine how Gary was feeling, but he looked great! A few minutes later we were able to find him & snap a few photos of him with his cheering crew before getting upstairs to the hotel room as quick as possible to warm him up.
Afterwards we were all full of questions. Although he was cold & wet he had an incredible experience. We assumed the course was empty because of the weather & he said that was not the case. Constant spectators the entire 26.2 miles just as it was every other year. The rain didn't stop people from getting out & showing their support. I was just so happy that it was everything that he had hoped for {minus the weather} & that he finished without injury or hypothermia. I love that no matter what, he is always smiling and making the most out of things and he definitely did that Monday. After the race the crazy amounts of calls & messages were overwhelming. So much love and support which was greatly appreciated. The girls sent messages as well...
He's already saying he'll do it again, but not as soon as next year. So much fun & excitement, we were all ready to celebrate with him Monday night. I could never put into words how proud I am. He continues to amaze me...Every race becomes more exciting & always something new. I look forward to more adventures. I enjoy this job... being his biggest fan. xoxo

No comments: