6.30.2019

First solo finish for Gary yesterday & we were soooo excited!
He signed up for the Titletown Ultra Summer Solstice run a while back & when this weekend arrived he was quick to tell me that I didn't need to go, not a big deal he was just going to run a 4.75 mile loop over and over for 15.5 hours! Say what?!?! Needless to say the girls & I packed up around noon to head out to watch him & basically check on him because it was very hot & humid. Not the weather he had been hoping for. Still he set a goal of 75 miles & he was determined to do it.
When we arrived we quickly found his tent & got comfortable having no idea how long it would be until we saw him.
 About 20 mins later he came running down the trail smiling, definitely happy to see us. 
The smile was deceiving, he was really struggling. Hot, tired {he'd already been running 8 hours} and having stomach issues. Nothing we could do except encourage him & he took off on his next lap.
The girls & I left to swim with some friends but I couldn't help but worry after seeing him struggle so I headed back myself to support him around 3:30. Didn't take long for him to come running by & he was sooooo much better. Didn't even stop to eat/drink just quickly said "Don't tell anyone but I think I am winning!" Excited, I then decided to skip my evening plans & just hang until the end. {8:40pm/sunset} Made myself comfortable under his tent reading magazines, chatting with other runners/support crew peeps & a lot of pacing. I always get so nervous.
 Eventually it got closer to finish time & I knew he had it in the bag after seeing him each lap & watching the other runners. I called our neighbors & had them bring Marin & Marg back so we could all be there to cheer him on at the finish. {Maeve was out of town with Eva for the weekend} 8:40 rolled around & he did it! First solo finish. In 15.5 hours he ran 86.4 miles... crushing his goal of 75! Just crazy amazing & we are all beyond proud once again. Quick pic of the finish line fans & Gary with the top female finisher.
 Award/trophy for this event was a bird yard ornament & Margaux won for the cutest fan that awarded her a watermelon! 
I had no idea the day was going to go the way it did but we were so happy with the outcome. We couldn't have been any more excited for him. He just doesn't stop!!! Last night was one of the first times I have ever seen him finish a race, take a warm shower & crawl directly into bed. He was done & earned every bit of the downtime. Congrats to our favorite guy! xoxo

No comments: